The Ewing Building opened in 1952. The building was named after Dr. J.M. Ewing who was the Principal of the Normal School in 1946.
In 1946, Victoria College (now UVic) was located in Craigdarroch Castle, where 717 students were attending. The students, over half of whom were WWII vets, marched to the B.C. Legislature to demand better facilities. The government agreed and requested the Normal School make room for Victoria College as well at the Lansdowne campus. Military huts were placed at Lansdowne near where the Fisher Building is today.
In 1956, the Normal Schools in Victoria and Vancouver were integrated with UBC.
In 1967, Victoria College moved to the site of the Gordon Head Campus of the University of Victoria, and the Institute of Adult Studies was established, making its home in the Ewing Building with Alan Batey as Principal. The Institute became the first centre in Canada to offer daytime courses for adults wishing to upgrade to high school graduation.
Today, the Ewing building houses Camosun’s School of Access offering adult upgrading courses and Eyēʔ Sqȃ’lewen: the Centre for Indigenous Education and Community Connections.