50th Anniversary Student Creativity Contest
Camosun College is celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2021. As part of activities to mark the occasion, the college is inviting students to get creative. The college will select winning submissions featuring student creativity from three categories. The contest is jointly supported by the College and the Camosun College Student Society.
Camosun students’ creativity emerges from many different programs. For example, welding students and faculty create amazing sculpture; fine furniture students create beautiful pieces of art through creative interpretation in wood; and, we know that great creativity is demonstrated through the college’s capstones and community relationships. With this in mind, we urge students in the full breadth of college programs to consider how they can express their passions and creativity within the context of this contest.
Note: The college has already commissioned an original logo for the anniversary from a local artist and alumnus.
- All submissions must be an original piece created entirely by a current student(s) or someone who was a student at the college from Winter 2019.
- There are three categories:
- 2D or 3D piece of art i.e., sculpture, photograph, painting, sketch etc.
- Written word i.e., poem, essay, written memory, short story etc.
- Audio art i.e., song, spoken word, original musical composition etc.
- Submission formats can be a:
- audio file etc.
- Submissions can be something created as part of course work, or something created outside of the college.
- The theme to draw upon is: Honouring the Past, Inspiring the Future.
- Entries will be judged on adherence to the theme, overall creativity, and technical accomplishment.
- All contestants need to provide their name(s), a C number, program(s) and a brief (under 250 words) description of their work and how it relates to the theme.
- Submissions need to adhere to the college’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Policy found here.
- Multiple submissions can be made for each category.
- Deadline for all submissions is end of day on Friday, March 12, 2021.
- Submissions should be sent to email@example.com indicating a category. Please include ‘Student Creativity Contest’ in the subject line.
- Initial step: The Dean of the School of Arts & Science, the Executive Director of Communications and Marketing, and the VP Education will select up to three submissions for each category.
- Final step: The College President, CCSS External Executive, and Board Chair will select the winning submissions from each category.
- The college retains the right not to select a winning entry and is not obligated to use any submission.
- The winning submission in each category will receive an award of $1,000 for their work. This applies to individual and group submissions. Funding is jointly provided by the college and the Student Society.
- The college will have exclusive use of the winning submission(s).
- The college can publicly promote the winning artist(s), their photograph and their submission online, social media, CamNews, news release, and in media.
- Winning entries are expected to be announced in April 2021.
Please direct any questions to: Rodney Porter, Director, Communications & Marketing