Camosun’s First President – Dr. Grant L. Fisher

In March, 1971 Dr. Grant L. Fisher is appointed Camosun College’s first president.  Dr. Grant Fisher was well known to many at Camosun and to those in the Victoria community.  He came to the college from the faculty of the University of Alberta in Edmonton.  He held a B.Sc. from Brigham Young University, a M.Sc. from Utah and a Ph.D. from …

Hello “Camosun”

In January 1971, it was goodbye “Juan de Fuca” – and hello “Camosun” but where does the name “Camosun” come from?

The Paul Building opens at Lansdowne

It’s fitting that today’s President’s Office is located in the Paul Building. Dr. Edward B. Paul led Victoria High from 1892 to 1908, was a City Superintendent of Schools for Victoria and a Principal of Victoria College.

The Ewing Building opens

The Ewing building opened in 1952 and today it is home to Eyēʔ Sqȃ’lewen: the Centre for Indigenous Education and Community Connections.

Dunlop House is built in 1928

Designed by Samuel Maclure for retired client James Lyle Dunlop, the Dunlop House was built in 1928. Since 1974, it has served as an applied education centre for Camosun’s popular two-year Hospitality Management diploma program – where students learn everything from hotel administration and restaurant operations to financial accounting, tourism, event management and leadership. Throughout the years, the Dunlop House …

The Young Building 1913-1915

The Young Building on Camosun’s Lansdowne campus was built between 1913-1915 and designed by Vancouver architect W.C.F. Gillan. It was named after Dr. Henry Esson Young, a community member active in Victoria’s educational community.  It was originally built as Victoria’s first Normal School and used as a military hospital during World War II. Over the years, the building has housed the Victoria Normal School, Victoria College …